Sunday, August 12, 2012

Trials.

If you've lived at all, you know life comes with rough spots. Valleys. Trials and tribulations. And sometimes, life throws you a bunch at once. Usually, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it keeps you going. At least for a little while.



But what if there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel? What if you can't see your way through? What if you don't know if it's ever going to end? When it all seems dark, what do you look to then?

In searching for this answer, I came across the beginning of the book of James.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 

I've read this a lot. But it never struck me this way before. Trials equal testing. Testing equals steadfastness. Steadfastness equals perfection. Holiness. Righteousness. In the words of James, lacking in nothing. What James is telling me here is that throughout my trials, I need to be focused on something someone else. It's only through focusing on Jesus and his perfection in me that I can even start to rejoice in my trials.

Even if there never is a light, and this life continues to be a tunnel, Jesus can be enough for me. And, while I wait patiently for his return, I can learn steadfastness and faith through my trials. If James wasn't clear enough then, he hits it home in verse 12.

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. 

- Polly

No comments: